Mind Your Head Fun Run and Walk
A healthy mind goes hand in hand with a healthy body so what better way to promote positive mental health than to take part in a fun run and walk.
No matter your age, gender, fitness level or capability you are invited to take part in a 5k or 10k raising funds for Mind Your Head.
The 5k and 10k routes can be completed in whatever way each participant wishes. Athletes can run the distance for a time, mum can push her baby round at a leisurely pace or a group of friends can do it fancy dress or three-legged!
The aim of the day is to get as many people together from all communities and walks of life to promote and raise awareness of the issues surrounding mental ill-health.
This years event will take place in Cunningsburgh on Sunday 26th August.
Registration now open for 2018!
Please note that t-shirts will be limited on the day and we cannot guarantee that you will receive a t-shirt. Come early to avoid disappointment.
- 11s and under - free
- 12s and over - £13.00
Race Day Information
Registration will take place on the Cunningsburgh Football Pitch from 12.30pm - 1.45pm. (If the weather is poor then registration will take place in the Cunningsburgh Hall.)
The Fun Run and Walk will start at 2.00pm at the Cunningsburgh Football Pitch. Runners will be encouraged to congregate at the front of the pack. The event will be started by the event sponsor.
Parking is available in the car parks opposite the Cunningsburgh Hall. It is advisable to share transport with family and friends as much as possible.
Changing facilities will be available in the Cunningsburgh Hall.
First Aid and water stations will be available around the route.
After you’ve completed the route recharge your batteries with teas and homebakes at the Cunningsburgh Hall from 2.00pm-4.30pm!
Although not compulsory, participants are encouraged to go the extra mile and gather sponsorship for the event. You can do this in two ways:
- Create a page on Virgin Money Giving. Setting up your page is easy, it doesn't cost you a penny and any sponsor money comes directly to us so you don't have to chase people for money. Once you've set up your page then you can share it with your family, friends and colleagues.
- Contact us to receive a sponsorship form template and gather sponsors in the traditional way. Please ask sponsors to gift aid their donation if they can. All monies and forms should be handed in on the day to a committee member (making any cheques payable to Mind Your Head).
5k / 10k routes
The fun run and walk will start from the Cunningsburgh Football Pitch.
The 5k route takes you around Fladdabister and Ocraquoy - see map.
The 10k route takes you around Fladdabister, Ocraquoy, Aithsetter and Gord followed by 3 laps of the Cunningsburgh Football Pitch - see map.
The route will be well signposted and marshals will be placed at every junction.
Please note that finish times will not be recorded.
Some participants will already be able to run or walk a 5k or 10k but others may be looking to challenge themselves by walking a 5k for the first time, increasing their distance from a 5k to a 10k walk or running the distance instead of walking. However you plan to complete the route preparation for walking or running a 5k or 10k is vital.
To help you prepare for the day we have provided links to useful training plans. Whether you are running or walking the plans are designed to prepare your body and mind for the challenge ahead.
- About.com - 5k walk training schedule for beginners (6 week programme)
- About.com - 10k walk training schedule for beginners (6 week programme)
- Couch to 5k (C25K) running plan (9 week programme)
- BUPA Beginners 5k running programme (8 week programme)
- BUPA Beginners 10k running programme (8 week programme)
This is just a small selection of training plans we've selected from the internet but there are many more to choose from by searching online.
But please remember, the fun run and walk is not a race, there are no prizes for the fastest time. The aim of the day is to get folk together to promote and raise awareness of the issues surrounding mental ill-health and hopefully raise funds for Mind Your Head.